A couple of months have passed since we started playschool, and we have all settled into a bit of a rhythm (I know, I know, it's bound to change now that I've uttered the words). In the past week or so, I have been setting up stations outside for the kids to explore if and when they are interested: art table, work bench, science center. Inside in the play/classroom, I've been putting a simple machine on one of the tables for the kids to explore. If anyone knows what this one is designed for, please email me! It grinds oats quite nicely:
Anyway, setting up outdoor activities at each station has been working really nicely because the kids spend a good half hour playing around outside, waking up and burning energy, and then they mosey over to see what's happening on the porch. At the work table/bench, a challenge is posted each day (can you build a super fast ramp for race cars?) for the kids to work on at the work table (and sometimes the challenge sparks an idea that they want to follow). At the art table, there is messy fun like this to be had:
I love that you can see the progression of the marble paintings in the photos above and below.
Some kids are lured away by other interesting things, and some kids stay a while.
The ones that stayed with this particular project really seemed to get into testing their specific technique.
![]() |
| His technique led into a hockey game. |
Work in the gardens tends to happen after lunch. Right now we are planting strawberry plants and nasturtium and chard seeds. We also have some really beautifully curved (and forked) sycamore branches for building. This is a beautiful creation the kids made together the other day:
Nest |
And this is one of my beautiful creations:
I love this photo (and this boy)! |









